Crape Myrtle / Lagerstroemia
A native of China, this often multi-stemmed deciduous tree has a wide spreading flat topped open habitat when mature. It is one of the most carefree and longest blooming trees in the South. The 90 day blooming period is followed by stunning fall colors. Some varieties have attractive, peeling bark. Crape myrtles are easy to grow in a wide variety of soils.
Cultivation: Crape Myrtles grow best in a sunny location and are tolerant of light frosts.
- Typical Height: 10' to 20'
- Typical Width: 6' to 12'
- Growth Rate: Medium to Fast
Bloom Color of Different Cultivars:
- Carolina Beauty: Medium red flowers
- Catawba: Dark purple ruffled flowers and grows to 10'-15' tall.
- Dynamite: Deep red flowers
- Muskogee: Light lavender flowers
- Natchez (a very popular choice): White flowers and a cinnamon-red bark. Grows to 25'.
- Sioux: Slightly fragrant dark pink flowers.
- Tuscarora: Dark coral pink flowers.